Interested in Joining a Charter School Board?
OAKLAND FAMILIES FOR QUALITY SCHOOLS IS PARTNERING WITH CHARTER BOARD PARTNERS AND EDGILITY CONSULTING TO OFFER TOP BAY AREA PROFESSIONALS THE OPPORTUNITY TO POSITIVELY IMPACT THE LIVES OF CHILDREN BY SERVING ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS FOR A CHARTER PUBLIC SCHOOL BOARD IN OAKLAND.
Oakland Families for Quality Schools (OFQS) is a community-based nonprofit organization committed to empowering Oakland charter school families and staff. OFQS supports efforts to strengthen charter public schools that are improving educational outcomes for Oakland’s youth and expanding school options for their families.
Charter Board Partners (CBP) is a national nonprofit based in Washington, D.C. that supports strong school governance so that every charter public school has the board it needs to provide an excellent education to students. CBP recruits and trains top talent for service on charter boards and then strategically matches candidates to boards who need their expertise. CBP also helps boards gain the knowledge and resources necessary for effective governance.
Edgility Consulting provides creative talent solutions for school organizations and the education nonprofits and social venture companies that support them. By helping organizations find the right leaders and optimize their talent strategies, Edgility enables game-changing results for all students.”
Individuals who are selected to join a charter board will be strategically matched to a board in need of their skills and will play an active role in ensuring that every aspect of the school is optimized for students to thrive—from advising on strategy, to building community relationships, to driving academic growth to raising funds for new programs. This is an opportunity to develop a new professional skill set and network while making a tangible impact on students in Oakland. Members lead with other professionals from a wide range of fields, and use their knowledge and resources to address the school’s most pressing needs, provide fiduciary oversight, and ensure strong student outcomes. For experienced leaders interested in applying their skills in a new and high-impact context, charter board membership is an enriching and rewarding opportunity.
The expected commitment for board members is as follows:
- Full participation in the work of the board for the duration of the board term (1-3 years) including participation in at least one training event over the course of service
- A time commitment of approximately 8-10 hours per month
- Consistent board meeting and committee meeting attendance (typically once per month)
- Willingness to travel to the school site in Oakland for meetings and as needed
- Active contribution of skills, knowledge, network and resources to support the school’s success
In order to make a significant positive impact for Oakland’s charter public schools, ideal candidates will have:
- A passion for educational equity in the K-12 context
- A track record of success over 7+ years of professional experience
- Particular expertise in one or more relevant areas (e.g, finance, HR, instructional leadership, facilities, etc.)
- A collaborative and action-oriented outlook
- High standards for personal ethics and integrity
- Willingness to participate in CBP’s Board Candidate Training (May 2016)
Would you like to learn more?
Please visit our application portal